Thursday 22 August 2013

I love sex

I really do. I love it so much that I'm saving it for marriage.

Though I've always had this desire to wait, it was Christopher West that truly convinced me that I should. Do yourself (and your future spouse) a favour and listen to his three-part talk from World Youth Day 2008 in Sydney:
Over the past few years I’ve been given a lot of slack for what I wear on my ring finger.
true - love - waits
Countless people have cried out in disapproval saying, "you’ll scare the boys away!" Little do they realise that that’s half the point: to scare the boys away. Why would I want to attract the attention of someone who is not interested in friendship first?

The other half of the point is what the ring means to me. It's a symbol and a reminder of daily living in purity. Not just about the physical action of sex – about a purity of mind, speech and appearance.
So what's so good about purity, about waiting for marriage? Here's what the Church has to say:
"Those who are engaged to marry are called to live chastity in continence. They should see in this time of testing a discovery of mutual respect, an apprenticeship in fidelity, and the hope of receiving one another from God. They should reserve for marriage the expression of affection that belongs to married love. They will help each other grow in chastity." (CCC 2350)
Yeah, okay, we get it... but why?

Because sex effects more than just the body. It's an act of binding to another person: physically, emotionally, spiritually. I want to be bound to only one man. How can I guarantee that my boyfriend or fiancé will be that man until the day he promises it to me - in front of an altar in a church filled with all those that I love and care about?

If any of this is resonating with you, check out these links for more information on why be pure and how. It may be the best thing you ever do for your love life:
Michaela

No comments:

Post a Comment